Reading Activity 0801: Advertising Strategies in Free Social Games

Advertising strategies in Free Social Games

Reading Activity 0801


 



So I downloaded a free social game called 

Lie Test - Truth Detector

with the disclaimer: "*** App is only for entertainment purposes and does not provide true lie detector functionality.*** Lie Test is a interesting lie detector app, can make your life full of funs and happiness. you can use it to find out wether someone tell the truth. Play it with friends. Try it and ask friends questions. :)"


I chose it because it didn't have in App purchases and didn't look so hard as I would not describe myself as a 'gamer' and everything else looked like I had to build cities and jump over things. 

I screen shot tons of things, but they didn't seem to appear however the ads were around game and in game advertising. I say this because as you can see in the image I captured above there is a row of products at the bottom of the game as it is being played which I didn't click on. As described in the text, I think it is around game advertising and a display ad. But also, every couple of minutes the game would stop and a pop up window would appear and be very loud. It had a countdown on it, after five seconds i was able to close it, but until then you're forced to look at it. some of the ads were: Tik Tok, the Karaoke App, and the Smule App (something to do with singing). This is in game advertising and static ads.

I tried to do it for 15 minutes I really did. The game consisted of putting my finger on a finger print and telling truth or a lie. It was wrong everytime. I said that I had a horse. It said I was a good girl. Yikes! I said I lived alone, yes, I was a good girl again. Then I said I had a child and oh yes, I did. (Where does the child live)? I didn't figure out how it was social, they said I could play with friends, in any case, there were certainly ads to examine.

It was about directing me towards other Apps that really had nothing to do with the one I was using.



Comments