Blog: Social Commerce and Rating Systems

 

Social Commerce and Rating Systems

Blog

I have an ambivalent attitude towards rating systems on CERTAIN sites and types of products. For example, on Amazon, I see the majority of ratings are positive almost exclusively which to me indicates more about the type of shopper who writes reviews. They're clearly a passionate shopper OR passionate about the product. Since Amazon doesn't give you rewards for reviews this is someone who of their own volition is willing to take the time to write a little essay about their shopping experience, self expression and perhaps genuine or intellecutalized thought of helping other consumers make a good choice. Does that mean the product is as good as they say? Is there an equal shadow side of dissatisfied customers who don't care for writing reviews, shop infrequently or with less passion, OR didn't care  enough about the product/content or subject in the first place to bother sharing their negative opinion? Those who do write negative reviews, one wonders if the goal is more to vent frusteration and perhaps do some damage to further sales as oppossed to warning other shoppers. Which group of people are more reliable ? How do I know?  It's difficult to wrest out what reviews are applicable to my own interests on Amazon. I can glean what I need to know through googling the reviews of the product on other sites. Most of the time I'm looking at books, so these could be literally ANY site, any source, For example, even buying a love spells book I would google: best love spell books and sort through those sites until I hit on one that felt authentic and featured covers and descriptions that are what I am looking for, which I don't know until I see it.

'Suppose I get the book, it's garbage, big waste of money. Nyah, I'm not going to review it on Amazon. Since this course I thought I would be less inclined to share online when I don't have to, and although I have that awarness even around reviews I actually am commenting on youtube videos almost daily which is really stupid but I can't seem to stop. But in this case I would say I am way too busy to bother. Tastes differ, I rarely agree with other people's opinions these days anyway and I don't feel consumed with the need to help my fellow shoppers. I mean, half of my ACTUAL book collection was borrowed and never returned by other readers, sure, people in real life, but why should I trust these animals (jokes/jokes). Also, I don't feel inclined to engage in this form of social commerce because half of me is horrified that I'm even shopping on Amazon (BEEEZZZOOOOSSSSSS) and wants to forget about it, most shopping in real life is just horrible big corporate stores and long line ups and buying things like diapers and frozen fruit and rich cakes and TONS OF EGGS, so when i do shop for something like a book or clothes I feel almost furtive, I want to be left to my own devices and get my dopamine hit. There's nothing responsible about spending any money AT ALL in my life if it's a dumb thing for me at this moment so I'd prefer to slink off and enjoy 

I DO write short reviews on wish.com. yes, i have a serious wish.com problem i don't even think it's funny I might have to go online and engage in 'social recovery' for it ugh. I write them though because they prompt you CONSTANTLY, there's very few helpful reviews there, and the ones that have helped me are greatly appreciated. Also, if you add a picture you get more points towards a discount (ha, five percent is not that much) and let's be real, if i look amazing in my new wish.com outfit what am I going to do? It's covid and there are no humans or parties or dancing so may as well. My reviews on wish are helpful when I do post. The main one is "ORDER TWO SIZES UP" or "DON"T ORDER TWO SIZES UP ONLY ONE SIZE UP" to my big old white devil honky sisters because wish.com of course is Chinese and the sizing is actually their scale. 

I imagine that they help rather than hinder sales, mainly because for whatever reason the majority of reviews are usually on the positive side. If someone is shopping with an eye to that then yes, it would make sense. However if someone is researching and shopping around at various spots on similar products I think it could go either way.

a final note:  maaannnn



Comments