Reading Activity 0702: Discolosure in Social Publishing

Disclosure in Social Publishing

Activity 0702


In my opinion Disclosure in social publishing is an obvious necessity. I have noticed the disclosure that says its a paid partnership post at the top of the post when my favorite social media influencer Ricky Thomspon makes a video about some product. I will watch part of them usually but not all because they're ads. Make stacks Ricky, good on you, but I don't care about random drinks and I don't go listen to Ricky Thompson to talk about products, he's AMAZZZIIINGGGG and his meltdowns are too funny. 


https://www.instagram.com/p/CI3iJV9n7mL/embed










Well it's not quite the same thing I must add that  I have not and would like to see Disclosure practiced is in the fine print of agreements around our privacy and data when we sign up for things. We are not aware of what we are getting into for the most part because the information is disguised and the actual use of our data and general privacy violations intentionally obscured, should undergo same Disclosure practice Facebook is so enamoured of. 

And then in terms of other kinds of actual disclosures I haven't seen....none really I can think of online but some MAJOR disclosure violations on dating sites haha.

Thought about native advertising too, how I am experiencing it in my life right now, went to check out the clarity of disclosure on Instagram feed and realized that the use of disclosure was both obvious but did in no way dissuade me from engaging with the image as if it were a real post (stopped, clicked or just read the description). I wasn't turned off the brand. Except Adler College, should never have clicked on that link!! They wouldn't stop calling me to go to their pretend school.

"Like advertorials, native advertising must be labelled with a disclosure that the content is an ad rather than organic content. Why? The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) Act prohibits deceptive practices, including advertising that misrepresents or omits information that is likely to mislead a consumer, acting in a reasonable situation.51 Native ads seek to be harmonious with the context of the site in which the ad is placed. The result is essentially a disguise—the ad appears as though it is impartial content. As such, consumers may respond differently than they might if they know the content is sponsored." (Social Media Marketing, p 138).  As I said though, these native ads are more and more interesting and fit to me. It's incredible what they've been able to do with the rest of my footprints on other sites and assimilation of the 'rhythm' of my visual style closest to what it can ascertain about both my taste in art (follows) and my own art posts! I honestly like some of the adds better than the images by artists i'm following. First here's a mix of people and tags I follow and the ads aimed at me embedded in my Instagram feed. What have those algorythms been up to. (This is just for fun and really doesn't have much to do with the question, which i did answer above).



Let's take a look here at my feed and see what the algorythms are up to.







































 ACTIVITY 0702

After reading the critical reflection briefly state your opinion on the use of disclosures in social publishing on your blog. Can you think of an example where you have seen such disclosures used? Can you think of any examples where such disclosures *should* have been used? Summarize your thoughts on your blog.

 









One of the native ads actually had a like from a Facebook friend too, I didn't notice til now, probably would have been more favorably viewed even slightly subconsciously. The thing that works about these ads is that they are fine tuning what they present and figuring out what I'll eventually click on, quite quickly and with some presigion. 

 They're using my information to gear things to me, and they're using the information in this context to create an identity for me to interact with. I see it happening now as I wouldn't have before the course. The most information they seem to have benefited from however in their attempts to appeal to my unique personal artistic style/ taste is my own Instagram page and the art I post there. Also they are clearly aware of all my pertinent Google searches and latest purchases through Amazon and Wish. I mean, that's what I noticed right away

But apart from the content (very specific knowledge of interests) I have to point out that they are using 'grid' advertisting, which mimics a way that i work, and as well they are even paying attention to the line style, for real, even content of some of my art (probably aware of what couches, lamps and carpets I bought and liked on Ikea as well which always helps I'm sure)  OH yeah and my dreams and goals!! (see some of above photos). I'd like to add that details and subtle messaging stemming from what can only be listening to conversations (the phone) or text messages/calls in some way are all over all the targeted native ads.

DISCLOSURE is badly needed here. 

Below is a mixture of posts off my own insta page and some ads I noticed had some resonance with them. 
My instagram, interesting to see if anyone notices any similarities to following ads that I feel in some small way are drawing from my art in image content/ possibly general aesthetic. Sometimes compositonally and even material/line quality etc

Again, can I get some disclosure on this Instagram? Does it deserve capitalization, never sure with these internet words.
So here I will alternate my posts, and ads


                      










or





I may or may not have been watching virgo tarot love soulmate reading youtube videos quite a lot. The algorythms are very much into this info. And how clever! they mixed it up with drawing, and hint of the muse relationship!!! well designed nerds, well designed

and then

the ad

 

and me 


and another ad.


and another ad:

Me:




me



The ad



below: the ad


The following is mine from my Insta




OH and for the above tarot card ad, check out the image I was tagged in by a friend a couple of weeks ago that is on my Instagram tagged section!!! She tagged me in the exact tarot card visible on the deck in above Ad: 


below is another ad


and my own post



https://www.instagram.com/art_notart_roseknows/embed

There's my instagram page for some context

I thought this was interesting, I could chase down the sources of algorythms for fun




Comments